Thursday, August 7, 2008

Olympic Fever is Making Me Sick


As the Olympic ceremonies get underway in Beijing and some guy I've never heard of bears the torch for Canada, I believe it would be topical to weigh in and deliver my version of "Olympic Fever." This is far from the typically witnessed conditions of blubbering emotion, rampant nationalism and irrational interest in sporting events that have been otherwise ignored for the past 1,444 days since the last games. No, the symptoms I'm experiencing are more along the lines of those caused by the Ebola virus; vomiting, diarrhea, generalized malaise, and internal bleeding.

While the question that all of society has been pondering over the last several months has been "Should so-and-so boycott the Olympics in communist China?" I find myself dwelling on an entirely different postulation; Am I the only person in the world who doesn't give a shit about the Olympics or their perceived political ramifications?

According to the media, I'm supposed to gain some sort of self-worth if someone born in New Brunswick stands on the podium with a shiny medal for fencing. I guess nothing says "National Pride" more than diverting funds from the arts, social programs, and battling climate change towards athletics and beating the snot out of underprivileged banana republics that can't afford the same luxury. Go, Canada, bring home the gold! Let's show Honduras who the Man is!

Additionally, I fail to comprehend how people with otherwise no affinity for women's archery, team dressage or men's 68kg, 700-metre indoor bobsleigh jump (sure, that one's not real...but it should be) can suddenly become captivated by the insufferably boring minutiae of these and other "sports." Don't try to persuade me you're a huge fan of the women's 400 metre individual medley throughout the year because it's about as convincing as Mary-Kate's claim to have had no involvement in Heath Ledger's death. I know you did it, Mary-Kate, you fame-mongering whore.

My one goal for these Olympics is this: to watch even less of the coverage than I did for the last Olympics in Greece. Scoff if you must but this is far from an easy feat when you consider that the longest uninterrupted viewing session I partook of in 2004 was about 90 seconds of Bjork's warbling 412-minute "We are the World"-style opening musical number.

With that in mind I aim to view, over the course of the entire games, less than one minute of actual footage, be it the opening/closing ceremonies, inevitable and ceaseless terrorist attack speculation or sporting events both live and "highlights." This excludes, of course, anything that might be considered a "blooper," ranging from painfully face-planting hurdlers to errant javelins through the skull (one can only hope).

With media coverage as intense as it is and moronic general populace banter at an all-time high, this will prove to be an extremely difficult undertaking. I feel I'm up to the challenge and, accordingly, have a few projects I'm willing to pursue as exciting alternatives to the tedium of the games. These include but are not limited to writing love poems to Glenn Beck, vacuuming the floor with my tongue, organizing my collection of self-bootlegged "Danger Bay" VHS tapes or dangling my scrotum inside a blender, hitting frappe and downing the resulting ball smoothie.

Wait, this just in, breaking news....Beijing is smoggy!! Enough already. You can glue your eyeballs to your Sony plasma screens for the next 15 days if you want. I'm going to hit the beach and bring home my own version of the bronze. I'm not even going to train.

10 comments:

Supplanter said...

I had trouble getting through the last paragraph of this article, when my monitor was coated with the coffee that I was formerly sipping was violently spewed out of my mouth in an involuntary uproarious reaction to your selection of alternative activities. Ball smoothie. Hysterical. Keep writing!

Tdks said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tdks said...

I, for one, love watching the Olympic games. Sure I don't watch any of the sports for the 4 years in between, but at least it's semi-interesting and shows some top level athletes.

Don't worry, I'm sure the networks will apologize for interrupting the "So you drink you can dance" marathon you were otherwise watching.

Tdks said...

Two more reasons I love the Olympics:

Last night's 4 x 100 freestyle relay was amazing - one of the coolest things I've ever seen.

Other exciting item - there was a guy from the Australian swimming team with full out flapjack moobs and flabby arms, thereby keeping my own aspiration of one day competing in the Olympics alive.

Anonymous said...

Come now, we are still charting virgin blog waters here, and already the censorship, or self-censorship, if I understand "This post has been removed by the author" correctly, has started?
This is supposed to be a place for the free exchange of ideas and/or an opportunity to rip on those with questionable grammar and spelling! Don't be discreet, don't delete!

TheLittleKing said...

Tdks, I'm not sure what you mean by top level athletes. Are you referring to those with the means to afford the best quality performance-enhancing drugs or just those who can most skillfully conceal their obvious blood-doping skills from the testing centre "scienticians"?

I didn't see last night's swim-a-thon as I was too busy banging all the Canadian athlete's girlfriends. Seems that years of steriod abuse has had the same effect on their testacles as leaving grapes out in the sun too long.

I suppose I will begrudgingly admit to one secret joy garnered from the Olympics and that is giggling sheepishly at Canada's utter futility. When a sporting competetion is three days old and the internationally reknowned sporting powerhouse of North Korea has seven more medals than you do, it's probably time to start focussing on speed-skating in 2010.

Marianne said...

Who is posting anonymously? That is a bad habit. Also, I thought "Post removed by Author" meant it was removed by the author of the comment (?) Not sure.

I haven't found the Olympics to be alluring enough to watch yet. Maybe I should care, but I don't. Except for men's rowing, because I know a couple people competing (and they both won medals last time, so there is hope!) Yeah.... that's about it.

Anonymous said...

Good to see there a another Glen Beck fan out there.

TheLittleKing said...

I have to agree with Marianne. Although "anonymous" posters' views are appreciated, they really need to put in the thirty seconds it requires to fill out the little form. Otherwise their critiques of other bloggers' bad habits don't hold much weight. I know for a fact that these mysterious people have an abundance of free time at work...

As for Glenn Beck, yes, I am a huge fan! So much so that I have actually made myself little cutout floating heads bearing Beck's likeness that I place in my toilet bowl to aim my poo at. Talk about a satisfying delivery!

Tdks said...

I can solve the comment deleted mystery - I made a horrible typo that completely ruined my comments. Having no idea how or if I can edit something, I had no choice but to delete. My apologies for the stress this has caused.

I would have answered all this earlier, but I was glued to the TV watching the olympics.